The Jets are making their final roster decisions with just a week before the beginning of the regular season.
Of course, Gang Green will have some tough decisions to make as they trim their roster down to their 53 best players. Will they keep four quarterbacks? Which young receivers will make the squad? Who will emerge among the depth linebackers?
Keep this page open throughout the next couple of days as we keep you updated on who the Jets are cutting and ultimately who will make the final roster.
UPDATE: Just after the 4 p.m. deadline, the Jets announced they will assign OT Breno Giacomini to the PUP (physically unable to perform) list to start the season, meaning he’ll be out for the first six games of 2016. The usual starting right tackle has been fighting a lower back injury throughout the preseason. This move was the final one the Jets announced Saturday, officially bringing their roster to 53 men.
- RB Antone Smith: Brought in as a camp body when the majority of the Jets’ running backs were ailing, Smith was not expected to make the roster. He led the Jets in rushing in each of the final two preseason games – with 30 and 27 yards, respectively.
- DE Claude Pelon: Pelon was an undrafted free agent out of USC who signed with the Jets this offfseason. Pelon’s management firm tweeted this at about 10:40 a.m. ET:
Jets are releasing client Claude Pelon @ClaudePelon with the intentions of adding him to their practice squad if he isn’t claimed
— DEC Management (@davidcanter) September 3, 2016
- DL Tarow Barney: Undrafted free agent Tarow Barney from Penn State was cut, according to Darryl Slater of NJ.com. He saw the field a lot during the preseason and made hits on both ball-carriers and quarterbacks.
- LB Trevor Reilly: A seventh-round pick in 2014, Reilly has played mostly special teams in his time with the Jets.
- LB Freddie Bishop: The 26-year-old outside linebacker played for the CFL’s Calgary Stampeders from 2013-15 had 11 sacks for the Stampeders in 2015 and generated NFL interest. However, he never stood out from the crowd during Jets camp or preseason action.
- CB Darryl Morris: Cornerback is a position most teams like to keep a lot of depth at, and the Jets’ depth at this position behind Darrelle Revis is shaky. However, Morris, who signed with the Jets earlier in 2016, couldn’t stick.
The Jets have cut cornerback Darryl Morris, per source. Does that mean they’re going to retain Dexter McDougle? Maybe.
— Darryl Slater (@DarrylSlater) September 3, 2016
- S Doug Middleton: Middleton was a UDFA popular among Jets fans this summer. He recovered a fumble against the Eagles Thursday and was around the ball a lot.
- OL Mike Liedtke: The 6-foot-3, 305-pound O-lineman is another candidate for the practice squad, according to agent Brett Tessler.
The New York Jets just released OL Mike Liedtke. Had a very good preseason and is a definite candidate for the practice squad.
— Brett Tessler (@TesslerSports) September 3, 2016
- TE Zach Sudfeld: The New York Jets have released one of their more productive tight ends this preseason. He had been on the team’s practice squad and active roster since 2013 (per Connor Hughes).
- OL Craig Watts: The New York Jets have released the second year, undrafted guard from West Texas A&M (per Darryl Slater).
- WR Jeremy Ross: The Jets have waived veteran Jeremy Ross. This comes as a bit of a surprise due to his solid preseason outing (per Brian Costello).
- WR Kenbrell Thompkins: The veteran player has been released. This now makes room for the younger receivers battling for those last spots (per Kimberley Martin).
- FB Tommy Bohanon: The Jets have parted ways with their former starting fullback. A former seventh round pick from Vanderbilt, he was part of the first John Idzik draft class (per Brian Costello).
- LB Taiwan Jones: The New York Jets have released Taiwan Jones. The linebacker had an interception and a tipped pass in New York’s win over Philadelphia on Thursday.
- TE Wes Saxton: Wes Saxton has been released by the Jets.
- CB Kevin Short: The Jets have cut Kevin Short.
- WR Chandler Worthy: The Jets have released the former Troy WR.
- CB Bryson Keeton: The Jets have released the corner out of Montana State.
- TE Jace Amaro: The New York Jets have decided to part ways with third-year tight end Jace Amaro. Many believed Amaro would start after missing all of last season due to injury, but a poor preseason led to the end of his tenure with the team. It is uncertain whether the Jets will utilize the Tight Ends remaining on the roster, or if they will seek help elsewhere.
— Rich Cimini (@RichCimini) September 3, 2016
- CB Dee Milliner: The former 2013 first-round pick out of Alabama, Dee Milliner, has been waived/injured by the Jets. This means he can go to injured reserve if he clears waivers. Milliner performed nowhere near the level that the Jets were hoping for when they drafted him, and a very rocky preseason ultimately lead to his demise as a New York Jet.
And, yes, the #Jets have waived CB Dee Milliner, the 9th pick in 2013, source confirmed. Couldn't stay healthy, lost No. 4 job to Burris.
— Rich Cimini (@RichCimini) September 3, 2016